National Signing Day is upon us and it could end up being a big day for the Tennessee Vols.
Or it could be a complete disaster.
There hasn’t been a signing day in recent memory that contains more uncertainty than this year’s.
The Vols are in the mix for several of the top 2018 recruits in the nation.
But there’s no certainty that Tennessee will actually land any of their top targets.
The biggest storyline of the day is whether or not Tennessee will land five-star linebacker Quay Walker, who is actually an Alabama commit. Walker will reportedly be choosing between Georgia and Tennessee (no one is actually expecting him to end up in Tuscaloosa). Walker has a previous relationship with Vols head coach Jeremy Pruitt, defensive coordinator Kevin Sherrer, linebackers coach Chris Rumph and safeties coach Charles Kelly. I like the Vols’ chances here, but it’s impossible to write off Georgia.
Another big storyline will be whether or not the Volunteers land one of their top cornerback targets. Tennessee needs an elite cornerback in the worst way and it doesn’t look like they’re going to land Tyson Campbell, Eddie Smith or Olaijah Griffin. Their best chance at landing a top cornerback is Isaac Taylor-Stuart. USC and Texas A&M are also in the mix here.
The Vols uncovered a diamond in the rough when they offered the previously unknown Jordan Young (who was elevated to a four-star ranking after UT “discovered” him). The Georgia native committed to Tennessee shortly after he was offered. He seemed like he was solid to UT, but a recent visit to Florida State has made the Vols very nervous. So nervous, in fact, that Tennessee went out and offered three-star wide receiver Cedric Tillman.
- Alontae Taylor — Wide Receiver — 4-Star
- Greg Emerson — Defensive Tackle — 4-Star
- Jordan Allen — Defensive End — 4-Star
- Jerome Carvin — Offensive Tackle — 4-Star
- Brant Lawless — Defensive Tackle — 4-Star
- Dominick Wood-Anderson — Tight End — 4-Star
- Jeremy Banks — Running Back — 3-Star
- Jahmir Johnson — Offensive Tackle — 3-Star
- JT Shrout — Quarterback — 3-Star
- Tanner Antonutti — Offensive Tackle — 3-Star
- Kingston Harris — Defensive Tackle — 3-Star
- Jacob Warren — Tight End — 3-Star
- Ollie Lane — Offensive Guard — 3-Star
- Paxton Brooks — Kicker — 3-Star
- John Mincey — Defensive End — 3-Star
- Travon Flowers — Safety — 3-Star
- Cedric Tillman — Wide Receiver — 3-Star
- Joseph Norwood — Safety — 4-Star (hasn’t officially signed)
- JJ Peterson — Linebacker — 4-Star
- Brandon Davis — Cornerback — 3-Star
- Kurott Garland — Defensive End — 3-Star
- Emmit Gooden — Defensive Tackle — 4-Star
- JJ Peterson — Linebacker — 4-Star Signed With Tennessee
- Jordan Young — Wide Receiver — 4-Star Signed with Florida State
- Anthony Grant — Running Back — 3-Star Signed With Florida State
- Quay Walker — Linebacker — 5-Star Signed with Georgia
- Olaijah Griffin — Cornerback — 5-Star Signed with USC
- Tyson Campbell — Cornerback — 5-Star Signed with Georgia
- Taiyon Palmer — Cornerback — 4-Star Signed with NC State
- Issac Taylor-Stuart — Cornerback — 4-Star (5:15 PM ET)
- Emmit Gooden — Defensive Tackle — 4-Star (3:30 PM ET)
- Jacob Copeland — Wide Receiver — 4-Star Signed with Florida
- Eddie Smith — Cornerback — 4-Star Signed with Alabama
- Joseph Norwood — Safety — 4-Star Signed with Tennessee
- Glenn Beal — Tight End — 3-Star Signed with Texas A&M
- Treveon Johnson — Wide Receiver/Cornerback — Signed with SMU
- Otito Ogbannia — Defensive Tackle — 3-Star Signed with UCLA
- John Mincey — Defensive Tackle — 3-Star Signed with Tennessee
- Travon Flowers — Safety — 3-Star Signed with Tennessee
Make sure to check back here throughout the day as recruits sign. This post will be updated as soon as players make their decisions.
- Three-star running back commit Anthony Grant started the morning by signing with Florida State.
- Three-star running back C’Bo Flemister didn’t sign with Georgia Tech during the early signing period. He was offered by the Vols, but he signed with Notre Dame on Wednesday.
- Dyllon Lester, a three-star safety offered by the Vols a few days ago, signed with South Florida.
- Four-star cornerback Eddie Smith named Tennessee as his leader last month, but he signed with Alabama.
- Three-star defensive end John Mincey chooses Tennessee over South Carolina.
- Five-star cornerback Tyson Campbell signs with Georgia. He visited the Vols in January.
- Three-star safety Travon Flowers signs with Tennessee over Clemson.
- Three-star wide receiver/cornerback Treveon Johnson signed with SMU. He had recently been visited by Pruitt.
- Tennessee announced the signing of three-star wide receiver Cedric Tillman.
- Joseph Norwood picks up a committable offer from Tennessee and signs.
- Top Vols target Quay Walker signs with Georgia.
- Four-star wide receiver commit Jordan Young signs with Florida State.
- JJ Peterson sticks with his commitment and signs with Tennessee.
- Olaijah Griffin signs with USC.
- Vol tight end target Glenn Beal signed with Texas A&M.
- Four-star wide receiver Jacob Copeland signed with Florida over Tennessee and Alabama.
- Taiyon Palmer signs with NC State.
- Three-star defensive end Kurott Garland signs with Tennessee.
- Emmit Gooden signs with Tennessee.
- Joseph Norwood hasn’t officially signed with Tennessee.
Featured image via USA Today