NFL rosters were cut to 53 this weekend and there are plenty of former Tennessee Vols who are now looking for a job.
Notable names such as Jauan Jennings and Daniel Bituli were among the former Vols waived on Saturday.
Here’s the list of former Tennessee players who were waived this weekend:
- RB John Kelly — Los Angeles Rams
- LB Daniel Bituli — Los Angeles Rams
- WR Jauan Jennings — San Francisco 49ers
- DE Jonathan Kongbo — San Francisco 49ers
- QB Josh Dobbs — Jacksonville Jaguars
- DT Kahlil McKenzie — Cincinnati Bengals
- QB Tyler Bray — Chicago Bears
- TE Ethan Wolf — New Orleans Saints
- TE Daniel Helm — Kansas City Chiefs
- WR Josh Malone — New York Jets
- S Nigel Warrior — Baltimore Ravens
- DT Daniel McCullers — Pittsburgh Steelers
- TE Jason Croom — Buffalo Bills
Not a good day for former Vols. But it wasn’t all bad news. There were several former UT players who were able to make NFL rosters that were in danger of being waived.
Here are the former Vols who made NFL rosters (leaving off the obvious names such as Alvin Kamara).
- WR Marquez Callaway — New Orleans Saints
- FB Jakob Johnson — New England Patriots
- DL Kendal Vickers — Las Vegas Raiders
- DL Shy Tuttle — New Orleans Saints
I’d expect the majority of the former Vols who were waived to get a shot either on a practice squad or with another team. Several players, Nigel Warrior for example, had good camps. They were just victims of the number crunch to get to 53.
If any former Tennessee players who were waived need some inspiration, they should look to Arian Foster. The former UT running back was waived by the Houston Texans on September 5, 2009. He was later signed to Houston’s practice squad. Foster ended up reaching four Pro-Bowls in his NFL career.
Being waived can either be the beginning or the end for a young player in the NFL. It’s all about how the player reacts to adversity.
Featured image via Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports